Monday, January 13, 2014

Chocolate Beet Cupcakes



Yum yum yum yum yum. I followed this recipe for "Chocolate Beet Cake with Beet Cream Cheese Frosting" from Joy the Baker. Her pictures just looked so good, and I'm always intrigued by baked goods that involve fruits and vegetables so it was added to my winter break creations list. I followed the recipe except for the fact that I switched it from a layer cake to cupcakes.

I was bracing for the cupcakes to be a little gross (the beets), but I actually think these are in the running for top cupcakes I have ever made, ever. The beets I was using were pretty juicy, and I think the extra liquid from shredding the beets made the cake extra moist. Also, I love the pink tinge the beets gave to the frosting - I like pink frosting but dislike strawberry and raspberry flavored sweets, so beets were a nice alternative.

Oh and aren't the wrappers so pretty! I got them from a little chocolate shop in Vermont, the brand is Bake Me A Cake by Meri Meri. They had all sorts of different vintagey and girley and cutesy cupcake tins, definitely worth checking out for future party planning.

As I write this, there are two cupcakes left and I am enjoying the last few bites of sweetness. Mmmmmm I love winter break baking.





No comments:

Post a Comment