Friday, June 21, 2013

South African Baked Beans


My host mom in South Africa made this dish for me and my homestay partner, both vegetarians, a few times while we were there, and it was our favorite. So much flavor and kick, yet still familiar and easy to make!

Ingredients:
  • Onion
  • Peas
  • Carrots
  • Corn (I didn't have any, but they should be used!)
  • Baked Beans, with sauce
  • Chili Powder
  • BBQ Spices
  • (Or if you don't have a bbq spice mix like me, some variation):
    • paprika
    • onion powder
    • salt and black pepper
    • cayenne pepper


How to Make It:
In a pot, put a little bit of olive oil just to keep onions from sticking, and sauté onions until almost cooked. Add in carrots and let them cook, then add peas and corn. I used frozen peas, so I let them defrost in the pot. When the onions are cooked and carrots have softened, add the baked beans. Add the spices and stir. Let cook until heated throughout. Taste and adjust spices accordingly.




No comments:

Post a Comment