Monday, December 3, 2012

Suite Dinners: Sushi!


Usually in my suite, the person who's week it is to cook suite dinner will put a little menu up on the fridge over the weekend to say what dinner will be. This week no menu was put up, so I had no idea what to expect. I was late to dinner anyway because I was coming back from a meeting, and I could not tell you how thrilled I was to walk into a kitchen table covered with some of my favorite ingredients: seaweed, avocado, cucumber... it was sushi night.

One of my suite-mates is half Japanese, and so making sushi is something she does often at home, and she wanted to teach us how to make it too! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It basically involved putting down the sheet of seaweed, pressing down rice, putting in the filling (avocado, cucumber, and imitation crab meat), and then rolling and slicing! Kindof like a Japanese burrito, except chopped up.

My california roll was super yummy and making it was definitely a cultural experience!



No comments:

Post a Comment