Sunday, May 18, 2014

Parmesan-Curried Chickpeas + Bulgur


I know the colors aren't that exciting, but this actually tasted pretty good. I have been clearing out my cabinets since I'm leaving school in a few days, and two of the items I had were a pack of Trader Joe's 10-minute bulgur, and a can of chickpeas. Both foods are sort of mediterranean-ish, so I figured I could put them together in a dish.

Ingredients:

  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup bulgur (uncooked)
  • evoo
  • 1 tbs curry powder
  • parmesan cheese (as little/much as you like)
  • lemon juice


How To Make It:

Bulgur: This part is pretty simple. Bulgur is usually a 1:2 ratio, so for 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur, I used 1 cup of water. Putting both in a pot, let the water boil, then lower the heat and allow it to simmer for about another 10 minutes, or until all of the water has been absorbed by the grain.

Chickpeas: In a large skillet, heat olive oil. I wanted mine to fry a bit so I used a lot of oil (maybe 2-3 tablespoons), but of course, adjust for your own health desires. Let the chickpeas cook in the oil for awhile, until they start to crisp (maybe 5-7 minutes). When they do, add the curry powder and parmesan cheese, and stir so that both flavors distribute evenly over the beans. Let the chickpeas cook and crisp for a few more minutes.

When both parts are done, serve the chickpeas over the bed of bulgur, or as I did, mix them together. Sprinkle with lemon juice, and add extra parmesan cheese or olive oil as desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment